You know that thing that happens when you love writing unit tests so much that you completely forget the argument order of all the
Yeah it does happen, I’m sure it is not just me 😉
You write everything in as
$this->assertEquals( function_call(), 'expected string' ); and then you get really confused when phpunit tells you it expects the wrong result from the function you haven’t implemented yet and received the expected result.
Good, I managed to write tests the wrong way round for two days before I realised and I wasn’t looking forward to going through and correcting them all, but then I remembered the power of
sed and started cooking a recipe up.
It turned out pretty simple:
sed -i "s/\(.*assert[^(]*\)( \([^,]*\), \([^)]*\) );/\1( \3, \2 );/" file_of_tests.php.
What it does:
- Capture the start of the line up to the call to the assert function in ‘\1’
- Capture the two function arguments in ‘\2’ and ‘\3’
- Rewrite the matched line with the arguments switched
That was fun!