Current Release: 0.75 (download)
Enforces the following WordPress administration settings relating to treatment of comments:
- “An administrator must approve the comment (regardless of any matches below)” (under Options … Discussion)
- “Comment author must have a previously approved comment” ( also under Options … Discussion)
The plugin works by running after all the other Spam Karma 2 filters and ensuring that if either of these Discussions options are enabled within WordPress then for comments to which they apply (All comments in the case of (1)) the plugin ensures that the highest karma level a comment can achieve is -1 so that all comments must be moderated before appearing on your site.
Some people see this as a deficiency in Spam Karma 2, they think that even with the level of protection provided this WordPress option should be observed – now they have the choice. I have also had reports of people receiving a large influx of malicious comments, for example when linked from an online forum, that are from new authors (2) above helps to prevent these appearing on your site when running Spam Karma 2 to protect you against comment spammers.
The one main feature of the built-in WordPress comment spam protection system that is not covered by this plugin is integrating the Comment Moderation and Comment Blacklist keyword lists. In general if you still really need these on top of all the normal checks that Spam Karma2 does then you need to look at adding some of them to the Spam Karma 2 blacklist – this maybe a daunting task as this uses RegEx’s rather than straight words. However you should find that taking a word from the Comment Moderation list and adding it to the Spam Karma 2 blacklist as a RegEx is as simple as converting
- Install Spam Karma 2
- Activate Spam Karma 2
- Unzip the plugin into the
sk2_pluginsdirectory within the
SK2directory in your plugins folder. (e.g. wp-content/plugins/SK2/sk2_plugins/)
- Disable the Captcha Check Treatment plugin in the Spam Karma 2 admin pages – otherwise commenters pushed into moderation by this plugin will be able to rescue themselves
- Relax knowing that all comments that pass Spam Karma 2′s checks will be marked for moderation as required by your WordPress Discussion settings
Bug reports welcome (Please comment below!)